Below is a template that you can use as a guide to write your own cover letter:
Employers telephone number:
Ref: Job title of the vacancy you are applying for or its reference.
Dear Mr / Ms
- Start the letter of by briefly mentioning the job you are applying for.
- Explain how you found about the vacancy, where it was advertised etc.
- Explain your knowledge about the employer, their brand or products and services. Show off your knowledge of the industry.
- If the company is well known and has a brand state how much you admire their reputation and brand.
- Mention any current news stories or press releases about the company i.e. they are expanding or opening a new branch.
- Give reasons why you feel you are suitable for the position.
- List your related skills, abilities and strengths.
- Explain how you feel you can be of benefit to the company.
- Respectfully ask for the opportunity of a interview.
- Mention that dates that you are available for a interview.
- Thank the employer for taking the time to read your cover letter and CV.
- Say that you are looking forward to hearing from them.
- Give details of how you can be contacted.
If you addressed the letter to a individual then end it by "Yours sincerely". However if you simply addressed it as "Dear Sir or Madam" you end it with a "Yours faithfully".
Back to cover letter examples