|Find College Courses and Degrees
Understanding accountancy is crucial to the successful running of any company, and is fundamental to business planning and control.
With an accounting degree, you will gain many sought after skills that will allow you to work in a variety of different fields, and hold a number of important positions. Qualified accountants aren't isolated to one particular industry and are very much in demand all over the world.
Online courses are ideal for anyone who is already working full time, lives in a remote area or has a busy social schedule. They are innovative and unique courses that will help you towards becoming a qualified accountant. They are a popular choice for novices, employed professionals and people returning to work, who want to have all the benefits a full degree brings, but would like a flexible study pattern.
Online Accounting Degree overview
Courses tend to be practitioner-oriented programmes of study, that are aimed at enabling students to function in a variety of business atmospheres. They have a strong commercial focus, and provide a vocationally useful and academically rigorous education that prepares graduates for lifelong successful careers.
Even though the course is online, those enrolled can learn as a group, where they will become part of a supportive online community. They can study at their own pace and not only be trained in real life practical skills, but also explore the relationship between accounting, finance and the economy.
Study units will reflect current industry developments, with many of the skills learnt on a course being transferable to a wide range of other non financial related sectors. The modules on online courses will be up to date and relevant, students will encounter real-world scenarios where they will use accounting information, resources and systems.
Teaching staff will be professionally qualified and will have industry as well as academic experience. As with any campus based accounting degree course, students also have the opportunity of selecting their own units, so as to tailor the degree to individual needs. They will typically only take one module at a time, in order to be able to study a specific subject in-depth without distractions.
How online accounting degree courses are delivered
Up-to-date web technology is used to deliver;
- Online lectures and user friendly course material.
- Virtual tutorials.
- Live chat.
- Discussion forums, both student and tutor led.
These can include case studies, group presentations, dissertations, company report’s, on line discussions, research projects and analysis.
Students will learn about
Apart from developing their skills in writing, critical thinking, and information utilization, students will learn about:
- Accounting Information Systems and Technology
- Accounting basics
- Auditing Practice
- Business Mathematics
- Business Economics
- Business Mathematics and Statistics
- Business economics
- Business taxation
- Business law for accounting
- Corporate responsibility
- Compliance requirements
- Cost accounting
- Employment and Society
- Evaluation and problem solving
- Financial Accounting
- Financial Operations
- Financial concepts
- Federal tax
- Financial strategy
- Financial reporting
- Forensic accounting
- Financial statements
- Financial decision making
- Financial markets and institutions
- Finance in Emerging Markets
- group working
- International business
- Income taxation
- International Marketing
- International Corporate Finance
- Islamic Finance
- Management accounting
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Performance Operations
- Payroll administration
- Project management
- Tax law
- The Law Relating to Companies
- The International Financial System
- Time management
- Reporting and analysis
- Social Entrepreneurship
Students will learn how to
- Analyse business accounts and statistics.
- Manage financial information.
- Maximise profits legitimately.
- Produce financial reports.
- Use financial data to make a decision.
- Develop an eye for detail.
- Be methodical and rigorous in their approach to work.
Generally speaking, on most courses a candidate for whom English is not their first language must be able to demonstrate a suitable level in written and spoken English.
Reasons to enroll on a Online accounting degree
- Accountancy is highly regarded all over the world.
- Superb long term prospects in a stable field.
- Good starting salary.
- Required in almost every industry.
- Full time, part time and self employed career options.
- Quick promotion prospects to senior positions.
- Year round recruitment opportunities around the world.
- Responsible position.
- Option to diversify into other areas such as management.
- It can greatly help you if you ever choose to become self employed.
- Improve your study and work-based skills.
Careers in Accountancy
Entry into this specialised field can lead to a range of career opportunities in government, business, management and finance across a multitude of sectors. It is a well paid profession with lots of opportunities for progression, many accountants go on to become the chairmen or managing directors of the company’s they work for.
It should also be pointed out that contrary to popular belief a job as an accountant is not boring, instead it can be a very exciting, challenging and rewarding career option.
In essence accountancy is ideal for someone who is self-motivated, enjoys problem-solving and likes working with numbers. Below are some of the industries you can go into:
- Insurance companies
- Insolvency work
- Local authorities
- Manufacturing companies
- Public sector
- Private sector
- Service industry
- Tax consultancies
Some of the negative aspects of being an accountant
It can be a pressurised job, especially at the financial year end. With heavy workloads during busy periods important deadlines may still have to be met, for instance if a company is publicly traded, missing a set date can mean fines and audits.
- Long hours of repetitive work.
- A lot of number crunching.
- Image and reputation of being a boring profession.
- The work itself requires a great deal of precision and concentration, and allows little room for errors or mistakes.
- Accountants are required to constantly refresh their skills as new laws and standards are regularly introduced.
More online degree courses
Online business administration courses
Online business degree
Online marketing degree
Online nursing degree
Online psychology degree
Main online degree page
Online degree courses
Campus based accounting degree links
Accountancy degree (full time)
Accounting and finance degree
Accounting short courses London
Accounting resume & cover letter examples
Accountant cover letter example
Accounting cover letter example
Accounts assistant CV
Assistant accountant CV
Chartered accountant CV example
Management accountant CV template
Trainee accountant CV sample
Campus based degree courses
Student resume templates (over 50 free samples written for entry level positions)
Entry level resume templates
Mature student courses
Personal statement examples
University interview questions