|Find College Courses and Degrees
Occupational therapists are a vital part of all modern health care systems.
This course will increase your theoretical and practical knowledge of occupational therapy. Students will learn how to assess and treat people who, for whatever reason are limited in their ability to undertake normal everyday activities. Students will be able to help individuals overcome barriers, improve their quality of life and fulfill the demands of day to day life, be it at home, work or in the community. They will undertake modules fundamental to healthcare, and will be able to help people who have social problems because of an accident, illness, lifestyle or ageing.
It’ a challenging subject, that covers a variety of topics, and which meets a wide range of student requirements. Graduates will leave with the ability to understand and work within any fast changing health and social care system. Apart from gaining lifelong learning skills, they will also have laid the foundation for continued professional development.
Online occupational therapy degree overview
Curriculums are evidence-based, strongly underpinned by research and contain the most up to date material. They integrate theory with practice and encourage a self directed approach to learning.
Students will have access to extensive and modern online learning facilities. Lectures and seminars are taught over the Internet through online assessments, shared learning, virtual learning activities, workbooks and case study analysis. Coursework can include amongst other things self-tests, quizzes and surveys. There will be a focus on studying real life scenarios in order to gain a better understanding of how unhealthy living and bad habits can affect a person.
Typical modules and subjects that can be taught on a distance learning occupational therapy course
- Biological Sciences
- Behavioural Sciences
- Community and Society
- Introduction to Mental Health Services
- Occupational Therapy Studies
- Occupational Performance
- Occupational Therapy Practice
- Physical Rehabilitation
- Principles of Occupational Therapy Practice
- Professional Practice
- Professional Regulations
- Social Care
- Therapeutic Process
- Vocational Rehabilitation
Students will learn how to
- Help people to socialise, perform daily activities, and live independent lives.
- Work with individuals, groups, communities or organisations.
- Find interventions, strategies and solutions to problems.
- Plan treatments for service users.
- Help people with physical or mental disabilities.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Assess and treat patients.
- Guide people to manage their behaviour.
- Assist people to go back to work.
- Review treatments and monitor progress.
- Show people alternative ways to achieve set tasks.
- Become reflective learners.
- Communicate with people of all ages and social backgrounds.
Students will learn about
- The connections between occupation, health and well-being.
- The history and development of occupational therapy.
- The current theories and practices of occupational therapy.
- Anxiety management techniques.
- How injury and illness can affect a person ability to function normally.
Career prospects and roles for occupational therapy graduates
Upon graduation you will be well on the way towards being able to practise as a competent occupational therapist, who is able to operate in a wide variety of environments. Employment opportunities exist in fields such as;
- community centres
- health and social care
- rehabilitation centres
- rehabilitation consultancies
- voluntary organisations
About this page
This is a resource page that will give you useful information about what you can expect to learn on an accredited online occupational therapy degree course. It also lists links to a selection of popular and relevant online degrees that are run by established US universities. We have focused on North America because at present most English language online courses are run by academic institutions based in the United States of America. Through the links on this page you will find out about the:
Financial aid available to students
More online degrees
Online degree courses
Related occupational therapy links
Occupational therapy degree
Occupational therapist CV sample
Campus based degree courses
Student resume templates (over 50 free samples written for entry level positions)
Entry level resume templates
Mature student courses
Personal statement examples
University interview questions
University open days