Unsure about what sort of job would suit you? To answer this question you need to find a quiet place where you can sit down and think clearly without interruption. Then start by answering the
- What sort of work are you good at.
- What sort of work would you enjoy doing.
- What salary do you want or indeed need.
- Would you prefer to work in a office or outdoors.
- Are you willing to travel around the country or even abroad.
- Would I rather work on my own or as part of a team.
- What motivates you and what are your values, are there certain industries that you would not work in.
- Do you want a challenging job where you do something different every day.
- Do you want to work for a large corporation or a small company.
- Are you more interested in making as much money as possible or is job satisfaction more important to you.
By asking yourself these types of questions at the beginning of your career you can make sure you only focus on applying for those jobs that you enjoy doing, interest you and suit your lifestyle.
Another advantage of assessing your needs and interests is that you will be narrowing down your career options, thereby saving time by not training or applying for jobs that do not suit you.
Once you've decided what you would like to do, then next stage is to research and compare related job profiles. By doing this you will learn about the experience and qualifications needed, the working conditions, hours, benefits and also salary of each role. Again all of these facts will help you to narrow down your options by showing you which roles would suit you.
By planning your career in advance you can increase your chances of having a successful and happy career and find a challenging role where you feel valued and are rewarded for performing well.