|Find College Courses and Degrees
Electrical engineering is right at the heart of cutting edge technology, and is a discipline that has made a significant contribution to our world. The subject is closely linked to the core sciences and also to mathematics, meaning that if you enjoy those disciplines then you are likely to find this one equally agreeable.
Electrical engineering is at the core of computing, mobile devices and many other products that are fundamental to our society. It is a fascinating subject that will explain to you what happens when you push a button on any modern day appliance, device or creature comfort. The technology that you will study is all-pervasive and present in virtually all areas of modern society. Everything aspect of what you learn on this course can be used in something tangible that you can put your hands on.
Online electrical engineering degree overview
Online courses are flexible and allow students to specialise in their own areas on interest. Distance learning is an ideal solution for those people who want to study for and obtain an electrical engineering degree, but who are unable to commit to a full time, campus based course.
This is not a one dimensional subject, but instead covers a wide range of topics that address many of the major problems facing society i.e. finding efficient renewable energy solutions. It is leading the way in the fast changing field of electrical power, and the course is ideal for anyone who wants to know more about energy, electricity and electronics. Course projects could involve you working on satellite global positioning systems, wireless optical communications, the Internet, the next generation of computer systems, or power electronics for hybrid electric vehicles.
Typical modules and subjects that can be taught on an online electrical engineering degree
- Analogue Electronics
- Circuit Analysis and Design
- Circuits and Electronics
- Computer Architecture
- Computer Communications
- Control Engineering
- Digital Design
- Digital Electronics
- Electrical Machines
- Electrical Power
- Electronics Design
- Electrical Systems
- Electromagnetics and RF Engineering
- Electrical Circuits and Power Systems
- Energy Conversion
- Integrated Circuit Engineering
- Introduction to Computer Engineering
- Instrumentation and Control
- Renewable Energy
- Signal Processing
- Signals and Linear Systems
- Semiconductor Devices
- Signal Processing
- Software Development
- superconducting systems
- Sustainable Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- Telecommunications Systems
- Wireless Technologies
Students will learn how to
- Develop, operate and maintain complicated electrical engineering processes.
- Build electrical control systems.
- Produce and interpret accurate drawings.
- Test electrical equipment.
- Distribute energy from its source to computers, mobile phones, microchips, homes, schools, places of work etc.
- Clearly explain your design ideas to non technical people.
Students will learn about
- Electrical safety regulations.
- The impact electrical engineering has had on society.
Electrical Engineering is suitable for anyone who
- Enjoys science and maths.
- Wants to be involved in solving the worlds renewable energy problems.
- Likes to work with gadgets like game stations or mobiles phones.
- Is inquisitive about electrical or technical things.
- Wants to eventually work in a industry that has well paid entry level jobs.
- Wants to work in a dynamic and growing field that encompasses a large number of disciplines.
Career prospects and roles for electrical engineering graduates
Many national and international companies are constantly looking for capable electrical engineering graduates. Your degree award will allow you to apply for technical entry level positions with these organisations. You will be able to hit the ground running and make an immediate and useful contribution to any employer. Industries where an electrical engineer degree is valued include;
- communications and ICT markets
- environmental conservation
- power generation
- software engineering
- silicon chip design
About this page
This is a resource page that will give you useful information about what you can expect to learn on an accredited online electrical engineering degree course. It also lists links to a selection of popular and relevant online degrees that are run by established US universities. We have focused on North America because at present most English language online courses are run by academic institutions based in the United States of America. Through the links on this page you will find out about the:
Financial aid available to students
More online degrees
Online degree courses
Related electrical engineer links
Electrical engineer CV sample
Campus based degree courses
Electrical training courses
Student resume templates (over 50 free samples written for entry level positions)
Entry level resume templates
Mature student courses
Personal statement examples
University interview questions
University open days