The information on this page is intended for prospective candidates, current candidates and any staff involved in the PhD process. Apart from being a comprehensive guide to online PhD programs, it will also give you details of any relevant doctoral courses available.
Earning a doctorate degree can not only make a real difference to your academic and career prospects, it can also advance your knowledge of a particular subject in your chosen field of study they are custom made programs of study that can help you reach your personal and professional goals, and thereby build a new future for yourself.
Distance learning PhD courses are ideal for working professionals. It allows them to combine a supervised and high level research degree program with their work or social commitments. Online study is also a popular choice for students who are already enrolled on a PhD course at a campus based university. For them it’s a useful additional resource that can help them to learn faster.
In the contemporary jobs market there is no difference between an online PhD qualification and a equivalent campus based one. These-days both degrees are recognised internationally.
The aims of any online PhD degree programs
Studies that lead to a Ph.D. degree award have three main objectives. Firstly to give the candidate thorough and comprehensive knowledge of a professional field. Secondly to provide them with training in effective research methods, and thirdly to enable students to make a significant contribution to the knowledge of their chosen field.
What does PhD stand for
In Latin Ph.D. stands for Philosophiae Doctor, and in English it stands for Doctor in Philosophy.
How to choose a PhD program
Always choose a subject that interest you, which you have prior academic knowledge of, and which can help you in any career goals.
Applicants must always match a universities English language standards, and also academic entry level requirements.
How is an online PhD degree courses taught
Modules are taught through intense, fast paced online study material that students can repeatedly view. On many courses students are allocated a personal supervisor who is there to guide them through their studies, and offer them support whenever it is needed. These staff are contactable by telephone or email.
As a postgraduate on a PhD course you will get to
- Train in your chosen subject.
- Conduct your own doctoral research.
- Enhance your leadership and managerial skills.
- Review academic literature
- Undertake structured programs of research and analysis.
- Plan and manage the writing of your thesis.
On a PhD course you will learn how to
- Express your thoughts clearly, both verbally and in written form.
- Develop an understanding of your field beyond the Master's degree.
- Produce high quality original academic work.
- Perform advanced research in a particular area of study.
- Carry out original research and then present the findings of that research to a professional standard.
- Investigate a chosen subject.
- Ensure that your thesis meets internationally recognised standards.
Advantages of doing a PhD
- In the jobs market it will set you apart from the majority of other applicants.
- It prepares students for advanced work in research, teaching, and administration.
- You can create a individual and targeted award that will allow you to take advantage of any job opportunities.
- You will get a quality education from reputable and leading academic institutions.
- It offers a more flexible way to study.
- There are a wide range of subjects to choose from.
- The course can be studied from anywhere in the world.