Professional and courteous customer service is vital in any industry where regular contact is made with members of the public or clients. This could be the retail sector, local authorities, leisure, tourism or hospitality. It’s therefore important for all client facing staff to learn how to enhance customer satisfaction by providing a polished service to individuals before, during and after any contact.
Each interaction with a customer, caller or visitor should be seen as a opportunity to impress them with your professionalism and service delivery.
What does a customer service training course cover
- It shows employees how to provide higher standards of service to customers, callers or visitors.
- Teaches staff how to deal with difficult situations or awkward customers.
- Shows companies how to create a favorable first impression.
- Encourages best practice from staff.
- Welcoming customers or guests and introducing yourself.
- Educates employees on the importance of customer value.
- How to enhance a customers experience.
- Helps companies to meet and exceed a callers, customers or clients expectations.
- Teaches staff to always keep the customer at the centre of attention.
- Advises a company on what their customers want and expect from them.
- Professional telephone techniques.
- Using the right words for particular industries.
- Effective communication both over the phone and in person.
- Body language in a retail environment.
- How to accept, handle and resolve customer complaints and grievances.
- Identifying causes of dissatisfaction.
- How to encourage feedback and constructive criticism.
Customer service techniques
- Engage with your customers by having polite and friendly conversations with them.
- Demonstrate to them that you are interested in them and their needs.
- Try to find out in detail what your customers want and need.
- Have extensive knowledge about their industry. Impress them by coming up with solutions to their problems that they were unaware of.
- If you discover a weakness in your customer service procedure and approach then take steps to resolve it.
- Keep in touch with your customers by email or letter, telling them of any special promotions etc. These techniques encourage them to be loyal.
- Ask if there is anything else you can do for them. After dealing with their initial request enquire if they need anything else, sometimes this can result in even more business.
- Always thank customers for their business. Make them feel valued by treating them with courteous and respect.
How is a typical course taught?
In a typical class a trainer will use role play exercises, discussions and also video and PowerPoint presentations.
How can good customer service training help a company
- It can help to make them stand out from their competitors.
- Help companies to identify key elements of customer service specific to their industry.
- By impressing customers with their customer service they can encourage repeat business.
- Increase business by reputation and word of mouth recommendations.
- Help to create a professional image and brand of a company.
- It can attract more competent staff to the company.
- Achieving customer satisfaction.
- Improve staff retention rates.
- Reducing complaints.
Questions you should ask any customer training provider
- How many other people will there be on the course (the less people in a class the better).
- Is all training course material provided.
- Are lunch and refreshments provided.
- Can training be provided in house at a location of your choice? Or is it only available in a fixed training venue.
- Will a certificate be issued, and is so when.
How long does the average customer service training course last for
This depends on the courses run by a particular training provider. Courses can last from one day to a few weeks. They can run concurrently or be intermittent i.e. one day a month.
Customer Service Cover Letter examples
Customer Service Cover Letter
More training links
Driving instructor training
First aid training courses
Health and safety training courses
HGV training courses
PRINCE2 training courses
Security guard training courses