Facilities Managers make sure that a building and its services meet the needs of its users and occupiers. They should have a broad range of skills and be able to come up with bespoke integrated facility management solutions to a wide range of unique property related problems.
When building your Facilities Manager CV show that you can:
- Set up and implement FM systems.
- Work within defined budgets.
- Influence others through effective communication.
- Communicate effectively with all levels of management.
- Make a real difference to everything you do.
- Estimates the cost of equipment, labor, materials, and repairs.
- Check and make sure that all firefighting equipment, alarm systems and emergency lighting is working properly.
- Carry out visual inspections of buildings.
- Simultaneously manage a large number of extremely complex projects on very tight timetables.
- Organise repair and maintenance work.
- Manage third party contractors who work within a building.
- Manage a team of specialists.
- Determine the manpower required to provide any necessary services.
- Manage refurbishments.
- Advise on energy efficiency.
- Schedule facility modifications and alterations.
- Carry out periodic fire safety drills.
- Develop and maintain emergency procedures.
- Develop and maintain fire safety plans.
- Negotiate contracts with suppliers.
Demonstrate that you are willing to:
- Act as a key-holder.
- Respond out of hours to requests for assistance.
- Be the first point of contact for emergency services or regulatory bodies.
- Take responsibility for all operational activities.
Show that you have:
- Experience in dealing with planning and regulatory bodies.
- Strong project and programme management skills.
- A high level of technological awareness.
- The ability to multitask and manage your time effectively.
- Experience of working in both the public and private sectors.
- Technical knowledge of building services.
Show that you are:
- Willing to carry out any other ad-hoc duties as directed.
- Able to use your initiative to solve unusual problems.
- Always part of the conversation and intimately involved in everything that goes on around you.
- Able to work in a fast paced and high energy environment.