This page has been designed to help you write a professional resume that will make you stand out for all the right reasons. It will do this by firstly giving you resume writing tips, and secondly by providing you with examples of the sentences, words and phrases to use when making your resume. As a resource it is aimed at both experienced resume writers and also people who have never written one before. Anyone can use the information, tips and techniques on this page to put together a memorable document that will match their skills to what an employer wants.
On this page you will find many examples of how to;
- Write your personal summary/career objective.
- Explain your skills.
- List your academic qualifications.
- Describe your hobbies.
All of the above samples will help to save you a lot of time, energy and money by giving you everything you need to accurately describe your skills, qualifications and experience. Combined they will help to jazz up your resume, grab an employer’s attention and quickly present a hiring manager with all the information they want.
What is a resume
A resume is a self-advertising marketing tool that is a key part of getting a new job. Its main aim is to prove your value to a prospective employer and ultimately get you invited to an interview. It should do this by emphasising your skills in a way that makes them applicable to the job for which you are applying.
The three main ways to make a resume
- Use an online Resume Builder.
- Write it yourself.
- Pay a professional resume writer to do it for you.
Although each of the above methods has its own advantages and disadvantages, the most popular one at the moment appears to be the online Resume Builder.
Key points to remember when writing a resume
- Employers appreciate those candidates who take the time to write up a bespoke resume aimed specifically at their vacancy.
- Employers actively look for mistakes in a resume, therefore be sure to double check yours for spelling and grammar mistakes.
HOW TO MAKE A RESUME – PERSONAL SUMMARY EXAMPLES
Below is a list of personal summary examples that you can use as guides. These usually go at the top of your resume and are an opportunity for you to explain to a prospective employer why you are the best person for the job. They should ideally be no more than 150 words and must be clear, concise and to the point. They can written in the ‘first’ person or ‘third’ person, either tense is fine.
Personal summary example 1 (third person)
- An accomplished …………………who is confident in her ability to improve processes by avoiding costly mistakes, misunderstandings and lost opportunities. (Name) possess a variety of competencies that set her apart from other candidates, chief amongst these is her ability to scrutinize, improve and streamline existing work schedules. On a personal level she has a positive attitude and an open mind which in turn allows her to look at things from a different and new perspective. As a sociable person she has always found it easy to fit in with new colleagues and an unfamiliar environment. Right now she is looking to secure a position with a company where hard work is always recognised, appreciated and rewarded.
Personal summary example 2 (third person)
- A dedicated professional who will bring to your company fresh ideas, new perspectives, a diversity of experiences, and a dedication to service. (Name) is able to learn, implement, coach and maintain best practices in a wide range of industries. Throughout her career she has always not only done exactly what she has been told, but has also consistently raised achievement levels in her fellow work colleagues. Being a conscientious person means she is always aware that the choices she makes will not only affect her but also others, and therefore thinks carefully before making any important decisions. She is ambitious to reach the very top of her profession and would now like to join a company where there will be many future career advancement opportunities.
Personal summary example 3 (third person)
- A forward thinking individual who is more than able to work in an environment of change, challenge and multiple deadlines. (Name) has many competencies that are highly relevant to her chosen profession, and numerous transferable skills that many employers look for. The foundation of her success to date has been built on her ability to take on board new ideas, improve them and then adapt them further to make them her own. Her present employer is very satisfied with her work rate, and she is confident that she can bring the same level of high performance to your company. The work she has done with her present employer has not only equipped her to …………, but has also given her the ability to …………. Right now she wants to join a firm that is looking for people to help them continue their success story.
Personal summary example 4 (first person)
- I am an ambitious and career driven professional who has the relentless drive, boundless enthusiasm and endless resilience needed for a challenging role. I have the right mix of skills and experiences that you are looking for in a candidate. What is guaranteed to set me apart from everyone else is the visible passion I have for what I do, something which can only be described as indescribable. I’ve spent the last two years working full time as a ………………….. for ……………………, during this time I have gained extensive experience of ……………. My accumulated competencies mean that I can have an immediate impact on any organisation that I join. I have had a very successful career and am now looking for something completely different with an employer who encourages innovation and rewards hard work.
Personal summary example 5 (first person)
- I am a proven ………….….. who comes to you with a strong reputation for making things happen. As a dedicated and experienced …………….. professional, I am currently looking for an exciting and rewarding role with a pioneering organisation such as yours. I feel fully confident enough to be able to work for your company, and possess the technical competencies, personal drive and future potential that you are looking for in a candidate. I have a minimum of five years of industry relevant experience and as per your requirements have the ability to maintain a wide range of stakeholder relationships at all levels, both internally and externally. Please be assured that there is nothing I cannot or will not do to make a success of your role.
Personal summary example 6 (first person)
- I am a creative and innovative doer who can bring thoughts to actions with speed. Without wishing to sound boastful it is a combination of my unique ……………. skills and determination that have to date been the backbone of my successful career. As a highly motivated and results driven professional I am sure to make an immediate impact on your operations. I possess the ability to focus on small details whilst maintaining a “big picture” view. To me your role is exactly the sort of position that I am currently looking for, and an excellent opportunity to join a reputable company that has big plans for the future. Furthermore I must mention that after researching your organisation I have become convinced that yours is a reputable institute that I would very much like to be associated with.
SKILL SET EXAMPLES
- Doing things that will make a real difference.
- Energetic and able to keep going at a fast pace for long periods of time.
- Not afraid to get my hands dirty.
- Keen to make a name for myself.
- Have a strong and naturally positive attitude that helps me to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds.
- Communicating effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Possess the self-confidence and assurance needed to deal on a daily basis with a wide range of stressful issues.
- Able to provide extreme levels of customer service.
- Implementing procedures that increase guest, client and customer satisfaction.
- Resolving customer complaints in an amicable way.
- Accurately processing invoices, payroll and receivables.
- Ensuring proper financial controls.
- Financial reporting.
- Flexible and adaptable approach to work and duties.
- Willingness to assist in whatever is needed to complete a task.
- I am confident in my ability to make an immediate impact on your operations.
- Identifying areas where improvements can be made.
- Always having a good and positive influence on others.
- Doing tasks before being asked.
- Able to take on high profile roles.
- Can take on ambiguous roles that do not have any clear boundaries.
- Giving staff frequent feedback on their performance.
- Not afraid of challenges.
- Decisive leader who is not afraid to make important decision.
- Developing standards and operating procedures.
- Have the knowledge, skills and experience required to lead a highly motivated team to success.
- Identifying the training needs of staff members.
- Motivating teams to consistently improve their performance.
- Unlocking the potential of others.
- Willing to assume all managerial responsibilities.
- Willing to take the lead in any project.
- Assigning and monitoring the work of technical personnel.
- Carrying out skill audits of junior members of staff.
- Designing filing systems.
- Establishing office policies, standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of office methods, procedures, software and equipment.
- Managing mail systems.
- An enquiring mind that helps me to firstly understand and then solve complex problems.
- Being a role model for other members of staff.
- Can be a role models who others want to imitate, emulate and look to for guidance.
- Consistent in behaviour, actions and attitude.
- Following rules and regulations like everyone else.
- Having a passion for my work and an ability to inspire others to feel the same.
- Keeping any promises that have been made.
- Practising what I preach.
- Treating both junior and senior work colleagues with respect.
- Knowledge of sales processes.
- Maximising sales whilst reducing costs.
- Putting together the right message that targets a specific audience.
- Track record of increasing sales and the bottom line.
- Accepting others who are different.
- Excellent understanding of staff training techniques.
- Can consistently maintain high standards.
Concise correspondence, reports and documentation that is eligible and to the point.