Storing away leftovers can be a good way of making a meal go further. Here are some tips on how to ensure that any leftovers are safe to eat;
- Refrigerate all leftovers promptly in uncovered, shallow containers so they cool quickly.
- Always use clean containers to store the leftovers in.
- Wrap leftovers in leak-proof plastic bags to prevent cross-contamination.
- Keep different types of leftovers separate from each other, avoid mixing them.
- Eat refrigerated leftovers within 2 to 3 days, or freeze them for later use.
- Date leftovers so that you can identify the contents, dating also help to ensure they are not stored for too long.
- Reheat leftovers to a safe internal temperature of at least 74C (165F).
- When in doubt about leftovers, throw them out.
- Reheat leftovers more than once.
- Use cooked food that has been left out at room temperature for more than two hours.
Divide large amounts of leftovers into small, shallow containers, this helps them to cool quickly in refrigerators.
Food hygiene course online