Enrolling on the right program is vital to launching a career as a Medical Assistant. This page aims to help you in this endeavour by giving you advice and guidance on searching for schools offering Medical Assistant programs in Florida.
Although Medical assistants are not nurses, they do provide similar level of general clinical assistance and customer service to patients. As with all areas of healthcare it’s a sector that is ideal for anyone interested in making a real difference to people’s lives.
These competency based courses use a career-focused approach to prepare students for entry-level positions. They are designed to introduce students to both the theory and practical application of specific medical procedures. Classes integrate online and classroom learning with open lab teaching to ensure everyone gets the intense hands-on experience they need. At the end of a course students will leave with industry-recognized credentials that will allow them to pursue entry-level employment with a variety of employers.
Questions to ask about a Medical Assistant course in Florida
- What are the admission requirements?
- What is the deadline for applications?
- Is the course accredited?
- What time are the classes held?
Questions you are likely to be asked at a Medical school interview
Most dental schools require personal interviews with applicants to assess their personal qualities, emotional stability and suitability for the course.
- Do you have any practical work experience of the healthcare profession?
- How will you pay for the course?
- What made you apply to our school?
- Have you applied to any other schools in Florida?
- Are you comfortable with seeing, blood, body fluids and such like?
- What makes you suitable for our course?
At a Medical Assistant school you will learn about;
- Completing insurance forms.
- Processing bills.
- Arranging for hospital admissions.
- Sterilizing medical instruments.
- Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens.
- Measuring a patients temperature, blood pressure, weight and height.
- How to professionally accept cash and payment from patients.
- Determining the nature of a patients visit.
- Giving instructions to patients.
- Restocking medical suites and equipment.
Medical Assistant curriculums will cover topics such as;
- Administering medications
- Appointment scheduling
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Clinical lab assisting
- Clinical procedures
- Drawing blood
- Electronic Medical Patient Records
- First Aid
- Handling Prescriptions
- Medical office procedures
- Patient care
- Patient charting
- Person-centered care
- Reception duties
- Registering patients
- Taking vital signs
Tips on finding a suitable a Medical Assistant school in Florida
- Do not sign up with the first school you come across. You should enquire with at least four different schools before you decide on the one you want.
- Do your research and homework about a school before you enrol on any course.
Reasons to enrol on this course
- With an aging population and more and more people moving to the state, Florida’s healthcare industry is expanding rapidly to cope with increased demand.
- Superb long term career opportunities exist due to technological advances in medicine, along with an increase in demand from a rising middle-age and senior citizen population.
- The healthcare industry offers a wide variety of entry-level positions for qualified Medical Assistants.
- It’s a role where you can work normal hours as well as weekends and evenings.
- Excellent long term employment opportunities.
- Wide variety of job choices and roles.
- Certification demonstrates a level of proficiency that many employers seek.
Students should be;
- Caring, empathetic and non-judgmental people.
- Highly organized, multi-taskers who have good listening skills.
- Mature, responsible and patient orientated team players.
Facts about Florida
Population: Over 19 million (2011)
Size: 58,560 Square Miles
GDP: Gross State Domestic Product $754,255 (millions) – 2011
Tourists: 87.3 million visitors in 2011
- There are 33,000 people employed in the Florida aerospace industry.
- Florida is home to some of the world’s most popular tourist attractions.
- It is also known as the Sunshine State.
More US schools and colleges
Medical Assistant cover letter examples
Medical Assistant cover letter example 1
Medical Assistant cover letter example 2
Medical Assistant cover letter example 3
Medical Assistant cover letter example 4
Medical Assistant cover letter example 5
Medical Assistant cover letter example 6
Medical Assistant cover letter example 7