Due to the nature of this subject these courses are mostly aimed at qualified and practicing pharmacists who want to either brush up on existing skills, or learn new ones. They are however, also suitable as introductory programs for people who have little knowledge of pharmacy, but who want to learn.
This course can be your first step towards a hugely responsible position that is well paid and very respectable. Apart from finding out what goes on behind the scenes of a pharmacy, you will also be given a comprehensive introduction to the pharmaceutical industry. Through a challenging course you will be equipped with the skills required to provide medication to people who are ill, measure and check the drugs that have been prescribed to them, and generally provide members of the public with advice about their health.
Aside from being employed in a pharmacy, graduates can end up working right at the heart of the medical profession by getting involved in projects to discover new drugs. There is constant research into the discovery, development and usage of new medication, all of this requires a constant fresh supply of talented minds that are up to speed with the latest cutting edge technology.
Online pharmacy degree overview
The vocational nature of the course means that you will gain the essential knowledge and practical skills required to hit the ground running when looking for a job. The course has a challenging and exciting curriculum that focuses on key aspects of the pharmaceutical industry. Its main aim is to produce high quality professional graduates who will be an asset to any future employer.
Typical modules and subjects that can be taught on a distance learning pharmacy course
- Care Management
- Chemistry of Drugs
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Drug Design
- Drug Delivery
- Drug Toxicity
- Drug Discovery and Development
- Geriatric Pharmacy
- Human Physiology
- Infection Control
- Industrial Pharmacy
- Introduction to Clinical Practice
- Introduction to Pharmacology
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Medicine Design and Manufacture
- Modern Medicine
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Psychiatric Pharmacy
- Paediatric Pharmacy
- Professional Practice
- Pharmacy Practice
- Prescription Management
- Nuclear Pharmacy
Students will learn how to
- Prepare and distribute prescribed drugs and medication.
- Help patients and customers choose the right medication.
- Make sure that people are taking the correct medication.
- Spot if someone is having an allergic reaction to a drug.
- Find alternative cheaper medication for clients.
- Talk to patients about their medication and explain things clearly to them.
- Work alongside other healthcare professionals.
- Communicate and interact in a professional manner with patients.
Students will learn about
- The safe and proper use of medicines.
- A vast array of pharmaceutical drugs, their uses and effects.
- The health and safety regulations relating to the pharmaceutical industry.
- How drugs change the way the human body functions.
- How drugs are used to treat medical conditions.
- Human diseases.
- Evidence-based medicine.
- How drugs are made.
Pharmacy is suitable for anyone who
- Wants to become a pharmacist.
- Wants to work in the front line of healthcare.
- Enjoys working with the public.
- Want to learn about the different types medication.
Career prospects and roles for pharmacy graduates
Students will develop important transferable skills right from the outset of the course. A degree award can lead to gainful employment and a well paid profession at the front line of healthcare provision. Potential future employers could be;
- pharmaceutical companies
- drug stores
- private healthcare providers
- research labs
- doctor’s surgeries
- veterinary care
- national regulatory bodies
- teaching and academia
About this page
This is a resource page that will give you useful information about what you can expect to learn on an accredited online pharmacy degree course. It also lists links to a selection of popular and relevant online degrees that are run by established US universities. We have focused on North America because at present most English language online courses are run by academic institutions based in the United States of America. Through the links on this page you will find out about the:
Financial aid available to students
More online degrees
Online degree courses
Pharmacist CV examples
Pharmacist CV template
Campus based degree courses
Student resume templates (over 50 free samples written for entry level positions)
Entry level resume templates
Mature student courses
Personal statement examples
University interview questions
University open days