These are plastic cards, similar to credit cards, that entitle students to discounts of the full price of certain products or services.
They are designed to make student life more exciting, memorable and rewarding by helping you to pay for the essentials of university life and also some luxuries. To use it you simply present your discount card to a member of staff in any store and you will get great and helpful concessions on things like music, food, travel and clothes etc. They can be viewed as being similar to loyalty schemes and will make you eligible for reduced rates of anything from 10% right up to 90%.
Apart from redeeming your discounts in store you can also the card online by registering it and then downloading vouchers and voucher codes for online shopping.
The organisation or higher education institution that issues the discount card will have negotiated deals on your behalf. From the perspective of commercial businesses their aim is to encourage customers to come to their outlets.
You should note that these cards always have a start and a expiry date, so if it does run out then make sure you re-new it.
Benefits of a student discount card
- As it will have your personal detail on it, they can be used as ID to show that you are a student.
- They can be accepted in places all over the country and not just in one city.
- They can be used when eating out, getting around or buy educational resource like books etc.
- Can be used to buy products online.
Will help you to save money on products or services such as;
- Driving lessons
- Fitness & Leisure Clubs
- Car Breakdown Cover
- Free Upgrades
- Books and Stationary
- Fashionable Brands
- Health & Beauty
- Technology & Gadgets
Questions to ask about any student discount cards
- Is there a charge for signing up?
- What products or services exactly will it give you concessions on?
- If it expires then will you be able to re-new it?
- Apart from being a student are there any other criteria to become eligible?
- How long will it take to receive it?
- Are the offers good for a one time use or repeated uses?
- How long does the card last for, when does it expire?
- How do I renew it, is there a time limit?
New monthly offers
Many discount cards have special discounts with top brands that come up from time to time. These can be emailed to you through a newsletter that also gives you reminders and tips.
Some discount cards will can provide insurance cover against loss, theft, electrical and mechanical breakdown, and accidental damage.
Free prize draws
Some discount cards have monthly prize draws for their members.
Is there a cost to sign up for a student discount card
This depends on the card you are applying for, some are free but others may have a charge.
How to register for a discount card
This depends on the one you are applying for, but it can normally be done online or via a paper application form.
NUS Extra Card
It is estimated that over 1.5 million students will have this card this year, and It is claimed that on average this card saves holders over £500 every year. The card is not free, there is a charge for this card of £11 (note that part of this charge goes back to your Student Union).
- They can be bought online with a debit or credit card.
- After applying you will normally receive it with 7 working days.
- When applying for it you need to provide a head and shoulders, passport style photograph of yourself.
- The card can be used in well over 100 countries abroad.
Click below for more details:
This is a discount card that gives students concessions on many High Street stores and introduces them to exclusive offers.
For more information and to sign up for one click on the link below:
Student resource links
Mature student courses
Student cover letter
Student CV templates
Student loan company
Student travel insurance