These courses will help you to reach qualified teacher status (QTS), a position that you must attain in order to launch your career in the teaching profession. They are internationally recognised teaching programs, which are ideal for both inexperienced students as well as experienced teachers who are currently employed. As a first step they will fully prepare you for any future teaching role, and will leave you more than ready to face students.
One of the main benefits of enrolling on this course is that it can lead to an immediate paid position in a field that has superb long term employment prospects.
Teacher training courses overview
Courses are relevant, up-to-date and innovative programmes of study which combine both theory and practice. They have and integrated approach, contain high quality training material and use tried and tested learning techniques.
Classes are usually delivered through a combination of classroom workshops, face-to-face teaching, online learning and in-school placements. Students will undertake a stimulating academic programme of study that has a multidisciplinary approach, and a strong focus on achieving results. There are both full and part time courses available, as well as bespoke courses to suit the individual needs of students. You will be supported throughout your studies by specialist tutors who may also be able to get you on work placements. Any on the job training you get will let you see what professional practice looks like from the inside.
How to choose a course
With so many different programmes of study to choose from, you need to think carefully about your options. A wide variety of choices means picking the right course can be difficult, it’s therefore important that you do as much research as possible before enrolling for anything. It’s also imperative that you have a good idea of what you want to achieve from a course, and what subject and age groups you want to teach. Only once you’ve thought all this through will you be able to choose something that precisely fits your long term career goals, preferences and personal circumstances.
Typical subjects taught on a teacher training course
- Adult Education
- Aptitude Tests
- Assessing Pupils
- Attendance Patterns
- Behaviour Management.
- Classroom Discipline.
- Classroom Management
- Class Exercises
- Computer Assisted Learning
- Community Learning
- Curriculum Design
- Educational Theories
- Educational Software
- Employability Skills
- Equality and Diversity
- Just-in-time learning
- Laboratory Based Education
- Learning Environment
- Lesson Design
- Mentoring Pupils
- Primary Teaching
- Structured Learning
- Student-Centred Learning
- Teaching Methodologies
- Tutorial Support
- Vocational Courses
- Writing Handouts
- Work Based Learning
Locations that courses are delivered at
They tend to be delivered at high quality venues, where students will have the opportunity to discuss what they’ve learnt with like minded classmates. Courses can be run at:
- Colleges of further education
- Private training providers who have their own training rooms.
You will learn how to
- Explain topics and subjects clearly.
- Mark coursework accurately, consistently and quickly.
- Become a highly organised classroom manager.
- Teach pupils with special educational needs (SEN).
- Keep accurate administrative records about pupils.
- Understand the needs of the pupils you are teaching.
- Develop interesting and stimulating course study material.
- Communicate effectively with pupils of all ages.
- Speak confidently in front of a class.
- Provide individual support to students.
- Build relationships with students.
- Understand how children learn.
- Inspire pupils to do their best at all times.
- Identify disadvantaged pupils.
You will learn about
- Classroom confidence.
- Different learning environments.
- National curriculums.
Questions to ask a Teacher training provider
- How many teacher do they train every year.
- Do they offer any training placements with employers where you can get real life teaching experience.
- How long have they been running courses and training teachers?
- Are they accredited by any trade organisation?
- Do they have any testimonials from past students?
- The course fee – does it include study material and tools?
- How many people will there be on the course.
- Where will the course be held, in a workshop or unit?
- How long will the course last?
- What are the class times?
- If tools are provided for the course, will you get to keep them at the end?
- Will you have to study or do any coursework in your own time?
- What type of certificate will you get at the end, can you see an example of it, and is it accredited by any trade or recognized industry body?
- Where exactly will the course be held? (this question does not apply to online or distance learning courses).
- Will you have to take an examination to pass the course, if so how many exams will you have to sit.
- If you fail a test, then can you keep retaking it until you pass, if so is there an extra charge for every time you take a test?
- What is the average pass rate of students?
- Are there any grants available for this course, or discounts for students etc?
Grants for studying
It’s definitely worth checking to see if you may be eligible for any financial assistance like student loans, grants or bursaries. If you are, then what you are entitled to will depend on your how much you earn, your personal circumstances, where you live and the cost of the course.
Who is a teacher training course suitable for
- Young college leavers wanting to get into the teaching profession.
- Working people who want a career change.
- Experienced teachers who want to learn about a niche field or the latest teaching methodologies.
Teacher related courses and degrees
Teaching degree courses
Train the trainer course
English Teacher CV templates and career resources
English Teacher resume template
English Teachers job description
Teacher cover letter examples
Teacher cover letter
Teacher cover letter 1
Teacher cover letter 2
Teacher cover letter 3
Head Teacher cover letter
Teacher CV and resume examples
Teaching CV template
Online Teaching degree
Short Teaching courses London