Dentists will always need capable Dental Assistants to support them in their work. Apart from performing an important role in the overall operation of a dental practice, they are also be at the forefront of contributing and making a very real difference to peoples health.
These are superb courses that are ideal for anyone who wants to invest in their future and gain an exceptional qualification that will set them on a rewarding and fulfilling career. It can lead to an interesting job where you will be on the front line of the patient dentist relationship. Those who graduate will enter a field that has competitive wages, great benefits, and many opportunities for future advancement.
The course itself includes a combination of tutor-led learning activities, classroom lectures and online training. Students will gain hands-on experience in modern labs that include medical equipment they’ll use in the real world.
At a Dental Assistant school you will learn about:
- Providing patients with the highest quality in dental care, treatment and service.
- Prepare patients for the dentist’s examination.
- Making patients comfortable.
- Supporting and assisting qualified Dentists to provide quality patient care.
- Dental instruments and proper tray setups.
- Performing lab procedures.
- Develop X-rays.
- Mix compounds for cleaning or filling teeth.
- Anticipating the dentist’s needs.
- Recording a patient’s medical and dental histories.
- Sterilizing and disinfecting instruments and equipment.
- Assisting the dentist during examinations.
- Giving oral hygiene instructions to patients.
- Chair side duties.
- Operating X-ray machines.
- Taking high quality dental impressions.
- Dealing with dental and medical emergencies.
- Safety standards in a dental clinic.
Dental Assistant curriculums will cover topics such as:
- Dental procedures
- Dental terminology
- General dentistry
- Oral surgery
- Clinical procedures
- Dental administrative procedures
- Pediatric dentistry
- Dental Sealants
- Infection control procedures
- Dental materials
- Oral diseases
- Dental radiography
- Instrument identification
Tips on finding a suitable Dental Assistant school:
- Decide how much can you afford to pay for the course.
- Think about the type of student experiences you want to have whilst you are studying and the subjects you want to learn about, then make sure that the school you choose can provide both of these.
Reasons to become a Dental Assistant
- It’s a respected, professional and well paid job.
- It’s a role that many people use as a ladder to move onto even more senior and high-paying positions.
- It’s a field that is expected to grow much faster than other similar occupations.
- It is not a desk bound job, instead it’s an interesting one where you get to interact with different people every day.
- You get a lot of job satisfaction knowing that you have made a positive impact on the lives of people.
Questions to ask about a Dental Assistant course:
- How early can you apply?
- What is the deadline for applications?
- Is an interview required of all applicants?
- Who will interview me?
Questions to ask at a school interview:
- What is it like to be a Dental Assistant student at your school?
- What is the school’s culture like?
- How do I pay for the course?
- What specialty programs are available?
- Will any classes be taken with general medical students?
- What type of Financial Aid is available?
Questions YOU are likely to be asked at a Dental Assistant school interview:
- Have you had any real life experience with dentistry?
- What other dental schools have you applied to?
The personal qualities of Dental Assistant:
- Good hand and eye coordination, manual dexterity and precision.
- Ability to work in a timely fashion.
- Commitment to patient satisfaction.
- Always complying with protocols and standards.
- Ability to quickly build rapport with patients.
- Friendly and positive demeanor.
- Ability to receive constructive criticism.
Dental Hygiene schools in California
More US schools and colleges
Dental Assistant resume templates
Student entry level Dental assistant resume template
Dental assistant resume 1
Dental assistant resume 2
Dental assistant resume 3