This page seeks to help students find a suitable Dental Hygiene school in the state of California.
Dentists play a leading role in field of health care, and have the opportunity to make a real difference to a person’s life. This is because the health of the mouth is connected to a person’s general health, one reason why signs of many illnesses first show up in the mouth. By maintaining the health of a person’s teeth, gums, and oral cavity, dentists can contribute enormously to the quality of their patients’ day-to-day lives.
Practising dentists are expected to place the welfare of their patients before any other consideration. Apart from being an ethical profession, it’s also one that offers excellent financial rewards and superb career opportunities.
At a Dental hygiene school you will learn about;
- Providing dental health services to children and adults in a fast-paced medical environment.
- Supervising dental assistants.
- Working with state of the art dental equipment.
- The structure and function of a person’s face and jaw.
- Making dental care as convenient as possible for patients.
- Advising and instructing patients on preventative dental care issues.
- Diagnosing and treating gum diseases.
- Rebuilding tooth structures.
- Providing crowns and bridges.
- Maintaining a patients’ dental records to the highest standards.
- How to carry out clinical procedures.
- Building trust with patients.
Questions YOU are likely to be asked at a Dental hygiene school interview;
- Why do you want to study dentistry?
- What qualities should a dentist have?
- When did you decide dentistry was a good career choice for you?
- Would you be comfortable working with children and adults?
- What practical experience do you have in Dentistry?
- How do you think the dental profession has changed over the last 10 years?
- Should dental treatment be free for certain patients?
- What do you like most about dentistry?
- What do you least like about dentistry?
- How would you handle criticism?
- How would you deal with an unhappy patient?
- What do you think you can contribute to the dentistry profession?
- What can you bring to our Dental school?
- Why do you think some people do not look after their teeth?
- What are your personal ad career goals?
Questions to ask about a Dental course
- What are the student accommodation options?
- What is the average success rate at your school?
Dental Hygiene curriculums will cover topics such as;
- Tooth extractions
- Dental procedures
- Fluoride therapy
- Complex root fillings
- Extracting teeth
- Performing basic gum surgery
- Straightening crooked teeth using specialist equipment.
Tips on finding a suitable a Dental Hygiene school in California
- Read the school prospectus in detail, and look for things you like and may dislike.
- Visit the campus in person and spend a day walking around to get a feel of it.
- Go online and look for reviews of what previous students have said.
- Start looking as early as possible, do not leave it to the last minute.
Tips on applying to a Dental Hygiene school
- Apply early as many dental schools employ a rolling admissions process.
- Do not just apply to one school, just in case you are not accepted at your first choice you should make an application to a few of them.
- Make sure that you write a good personal statement.
Facts about California
Largest City: Los Angles
Size: 158,706 square miles
GDP: 1.813 trillion USD (2007)
Minimum wage: 8.00 USD per hour (2013)
- It is estimated that at least half of the fresh fruit produced in the United States is cultivated in California.
- If it were a country then California would have the 9th largest economy in the world.
Dental Assistant schools in California
Dental Assistant resume templates
Student entry level Dental assistant resume template
Dental assistant resume 1
Dental assistant resume 2
Dental assistant resume 3