The aim of supply chain management is to make the ‘chain’ as efficiently and cost effective as possible. By doing this a company can reduce its costs, keep customers happy and subsequently achieve a sustainable competitive advantage over any competitors. On top it should also be remembered that by delivering products on time and making processes more efficient, good supply chain management can also add value to the end product that a consumer receives.
This online program will help students to explore the world of sourcing and distribution. Students will graduate with real world skills that can immediately be applied to the operations of any employer. The course gets students to look at and study all the practical and theoretical aspects of supply chain management in a global marketplace.
Online supply chain management degree overview
It’s a self-paced Internet course that will introduce you to supply chain fundamentals, such as planning ahead, transportation and storage management. As an online program, it will teach students through interactive classroom activities, virtual tutorials, live chat, discussion forums, case studies, secure online tests, and video seminars.
You will learn about every stage of the supply chain, from picking up goods, to storage and delivery. You will learn to think in an organised way, and be taught how to identify potential supply chain problems before they occur. Classes will explain to you the processes and activities that ultimately deliver products to the final customer.
Typical modules and subjects that can be taught on a supply chain management course
- Business Analysis
- Business Processes
- Competitive Performance
- Customer Service
- Demand Forecasting
- Globalisation and Supply Chains
- Global Sourcing
- International Trade
- Introduction to Logistics
- Inventory Management
- Logistics and International Trade
- logistics Modelling
- Management Science
- Operations Performance Measurement
- Operations Management
- Organizational Leadership
- People Management
- Product Development
- Project Management
- Procurement and Sourcing
- Strategic Operations Management
- Supply Chain Analytics
- Supply Chain Operations Management
- Supply Chain Management Principles
- Supply Chain Leadership
- Supply Chain Strategy
- Transportation Systems
- Warehouse Management
Students will learn how to
- Develop metrics to monitor the supply chain so that it operates at maximum efficiency.
- Synchronize the flow of services, products and information.
- Meet tight deadlines and deliver on time.
- Set up a supply chain from scratch and then manage it.
- Negotiate with suppliers.
- Plan and make better logistic decisions.
- Manage the technology and information systems needed to control the supply chain.
Students will learn about
- The movement of goods and services through a global supply chain.
- The processes and techniques for developing operations.
- Supply chain activities.
- The processes, people and technologies involved in integrated supply chain management set up.
- Industry best practices.
- Forecasting and demand planning.
- Challenges and new trends in supply chain management.
- The information flows needed to coordinate activities.
- How effective supply chain management can assist the profits and ambition of a business.
Career prospects and roles for supply chain management graduates
It is a rapidly changing and expanding field that offers many lucrative entry level and managerial opportunities. You will leave the course with a list of sought after transferable skills that will enhance your employability in a range of managerial positions if the fields of logistics, supply chain and distribution.
Upon graduation you will be well prepared for various senior level supply chain management positions in the following industries;
Possible job roles include:
- Inventory planners
- Logistics manager
- Materials manager
- Materials planner
- Operation manager
- Production scheduler
- Purchasing manager
- Transportation manager
- Supply chain strategists
- Warehouse operations manager
About this page
This is a resource page that will give you useful information about what you can expect to learn on an accredited online supply chain management degree course. It also lists links to a selection of popular and relevant online degrees that are run by established US universities. We have focused on North America because at present most English language online courses are run by academic institutions based in the United States of America. Through the links on this page you will find out about the:
Financial aid available to students
More online degrees
Online degree courses
Campus based degree courses
Student resume templates (over 50 free samples written for entry level positions)
Entry level resume templates
Mature student courses
Personal statement examples
University interview questions
University open days
Online management degrees
Online management degree courses