These intensive, vocationally-focused degrees are suitable for anyone who wishes to develop a career in the field of human resources and personnel administration. It will enhance their employability by not only teaching them the core areas of the discipline but also valuable transferable skills, all of which can be applied to a range of industries.
The course will give students a comprehensive introduction into the strategies and policies relating to the management of employees, and the relationship between employers and their staff. It will shed light on the techniques used by organisations to recruit top talent, arrange professional development programs for existing personnel, and also demonstrate how an effective HR department can act as a liaison between senior management and unions. Overall you will learn the practises and procedures needed to make sure that employees and employers fulfil their obligations to each other.
Structured learning will take a variety of methods dependent upon the actual subject or module. The course teaching methods will include lectures, workshops, seminars, practical work-based simulations and the use of HR case studies. Some classes may be supported by the use of guest speakers from the various sectors of industries. The programme also makes extensive use of ICT in teaching and learning.
Human Resources degree course overview
You will learn how to attract, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees and match them to suitable jobs by linking their skills and abilities with the needs of a business. Other areas of study will include how to monitor an employee’s performance, improve their skills, and increase their job satisfaction and working conditions.
Upon graduation students will be well equipped with the knowledge to not only follow careers in specialist HR management positions, but also in many other unrelated fields. It is a course that will enhance both your personal and career development, and is ideal for anyone who wishes to gain a higher degree qualification that will enable them to enter a career in human resources.
Typical course modules and areas of study on a Human Resources Degree
- Human Resources Planning
- Human Resources Analysis
- Human Resource Development
- Organisational Behaviour
- Research Methods
- Business Dynamics
- Business Economics and Accounting
- Change Management
- Employee Relations and Reward
- Understanding People in Organisations
- Employment and Discrimination Law
- Health & Safety
- Staff Development
- Recruitment & Selection
- Managing Equality & Diversity
- Discrimination and Conflict in Employment Law
- Training and development
- Workforce Planning
- Labour Economics
- Labour Markets
Students will learn about
- How the business environment works
- Screen, interview and test applicants
- Staff relationships
- Strategy and Organisation
- Corporate Governance
- Global Business
- Pay guidelines, incentives and commissions
- Dispute resolutions
- Staff welfare
- Contract law
- Organized labour
- Working conditions
- Disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Equal opportunities
- Paternity pay and maternity rights
Students will learn how to
- Make effective decisions.
- Develop new techniques for personal effectiveness.
- Interview prospective job applicants.
- Deal with enquiries about salaries and pensions etc.
- Suggest and change HR policies.
- Write job adverts and descriptions.
- Maintain fair and respectful working conditions.
- Ensure that a employees individual needs are taken care off.
- Researching salaries and ensuring they are in line with legal requirements and industry standards.
Online degree courses
Personal statement examples
Introduction to graduate fasttrack schemes
Student loan company
UCAS personal statement
University interview questions
University open days
HR training course
Business Administration course
HR Cover letters
HR Manager cover letter
Related HR Assistant resume and CV templates
HR assistant CV template
HR assistant resume 1
HR assistant resume 2
HR assistant resume 3
Human Resources Assistant resume
Student entry level HR assistant resume template
Student CV examples
Student CV templates (over 30 free professional written examples)